Thursday, July 18, 2013

Today's Workout and the Need for Equipment

As I started downloading training programs for a Triathlon, I realized I am going to have to buy some stuff. I don't want to go crazy on the budget since I am really just testing the waters ( OK pun intended)
My first purchases were for my first swim workout - A pair of goggles and a stop watch,  both of which were on sale - Yea!


My first workout swim was for 45 minutes in our small community pool. I alternated between breast stroke and freestyle mainly relying on breast stroke since it is a resting stroke for me. I did a few lengths of backstroke and sidestroke just to mix it up a bit. I think in the future I need to find an olympic pool so that I can know the distance and length that I am swimming and not just time. I also need to add to my equipment and buy a swim cap to save my hair from all the chlorine. (Ah, vanity)   It felt really good to get back in the water and swim for more than a length or two. My arms are a bit sore from the workout but it's a good feeling.

The "Again" Part

Back in the day I was actually a lifeguard starting at our local pool and then working summers for the National Park Service along the Columbia River. As I have said before, over the years I became a spectator and not a participant even though I live in Southern California and can swim almost every day. It was great to get back in the sparkling blue pool and feel the joy of being in the water again. Now, - to do some homework on a new" swimming hole".




1 comment:

  1. I love swimming! A girlfriend of mine and I used to go every night. It's such a great full body workout and it feels so good!

    ReplyDelete