Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Change of Plan


When I started on the journey to train for a triathlon, I signed up for a training plan from Active.com to guide me through the necessary training to be ready for a sprint triathlon. As I have been biking and swimming, I have realized that my legs are not nearly as strong as they need to be for these activities. Years of inactivity have depleted my muscles and they are not adequate enough to provide sufficient power in the pool or on the pedals. Truth be told, my arms need strengthening as well but once my legs are back to par, my arms shouldn't have to work as hard. I decided today to switch programs and go with one that incorporates weight lifting/strength training in the schedule. I have found a "Couch to Triathon" program on Beginnertriathlon.com and hope that this one will meet my needs. I did have to pay for this program but thought that it would be worth the cost in the long run- $50 for 6 months.

Given the amount of time that I have to train ( very little) I need the program to be effective. Over the last 2 weeks I feel like I have made a little progress with my aerobic capacity, but am listening to my body and know that I need to be STRONGER. I am hoping this new program will work on my stamina and my strength. I know a  little more muscle will do me a lot of good.

Beginnertriathlon.com in addition to my biking and running apps have helped me start getting fit and enabling me to measure my progress. So far I have been swimming, biking and training for the Zombie Apocalypse. I let you know about the Zombie Run in my upcoming posts.

Arrrrh!

No comments:

Post a Comment